Pages

Powered by Blogger.

Rolling Stone Top 500 Albums of All Time Second Attempt Intro

Monday, April 9, 2012

When I first set out to listen to all of Rolling Stone's Top 500 Albums of All Time, I was working from the 2003 list and I thought "man, I wish this was updated with all the albums that have come out since then." I wanted to know where albums from artists like Kanye West, Arcade Fire, The Strokes and others would rank against some of the greatest artists of all time like The Beatles, Bob Dylan, The Who and The Rolling Stones. Without such a list existing, I decided to strike out and listen to the list I was given.

Well apparently, such a list does exist....

The other day, I came across a list from Rolling Stone that was updated, including albums all the way up to 2011 and including all the artists I wished to see ranked. So I found myself in a conundrum. With 50 of the 500 albums already listened to, do I keep fighting through with the list I had already began or restart with the new list?

The choice was simple: I would restart with the list I always wanted to check out. Now some of these albums are going to be the same that I've already written about. Some I will use exactly what I wrote about them before and others I will add to. For the most part, I will add something to almost all the reviews of each album and I do plan on listening to all the albums over again. Of the albums I've already listened to, all but four of them remain on the list. With the exception of the four albums that have fallen off the list, all of the albums have ranked higher. The four that fell off were Public Enemy's "Yo! Bum Rush the Show", Elton John's self-titled release, and two of our highest ranking albums, Otis Redding's "Live From Europe" and Smashing Pumpkins' "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness". All four of these artists do have other albums that remain on my list.

So with this new list, I embark trying to tackle the Rolling Stone Top 500 Albums of All Time once again. Already I can see I will like this new list more. It's a great blend of albums I already love from the last few years, classic albums I've never discovered and artists I've always wanted to listen to more yet never have.

So check back soon as I write about Rolling Stone's 500-491 albums of all time.

Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

Most Reading